Since its been summer, my creativeness in the kitchen has definitely taken a back seat to the warmer weather. This girl needs her vitamin D. It is so easy for eating habits, sleep routine and all my normal routine to go out the window in the summer because I am too busy having fun. By at least keeping my food in check, I can help minimize some of the effects of this.
Gretchin Rubin, in her book Better than Before on mastering habits, states: “habits eliminate the need for self control.” And we all know that while following the autoimmune paleo protocol, you already don’t have m much energy because, well you’re doing it because you are sick in the first place. So conserving some energy by having food as a no brainer saves you from potentially making a poor decision that will affect your health. Or at least that how it is for me.
Plain roasted chicken, grilled asparagus, zucchini noodles for breakfast…. But yesterday, I just felt cooking. My normal 2 hour food prep took 4. This recipe does take a little time; its not difficult though.
*notes: I used skinless thighs because they were on sale, and they are the perfect size. You can use chicken breasts, just be sure to filet a pocket in them and cut in half. I also used my George Foreman grill as I don’t have a BBQ. Im sure they will be great on one though!
Basil pesto from The Primordial Table. Amazing! I used 1/2 c oil and blended until creamy.
- one package bacon (i used turkey bacon)
- one package filleted chicken thighs
- one bunch thin asparagus
- one batch basil pesto
- 3 avocados
- ¼ c apple cider vinegar
- ¼ c avocado oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- sea salt to taste
- Preheat grill or BBQ
- pre make basil pesto, set aside in bowl
- pre make avocado crema. I used same bowl of food processor as the pesto without washing.
- Scoop out the flesh of the three avocados into bowl, add the rest of the ingredients. blend well until a whip cream texture forms.
- Wash asparagus, then chop the ends off in 2 inch pieces. (we are just using the tree part for this recipe. save the rest for some other use.)
- Take one piece of chicken, open and scoop 1 tsp pesto inside. top with 2 pieces asparagus and fold chicken over. Wrap in a piece of bacon. Continue until all your bacon is used up. My package did 24.
- Grill for approx 5 minutes.
- Once cooked, serve warm by scope 2tbsp of creama either onto plate first, and adding chicken or topping chicken with it. Goes well with sautéed zucchini noodles!
*This post shared on Allergy Free Wednesday
Paleo AIP Roundtable on Phoenix Helix