So you have probably noticed that I have been MIA for about three weeks now. About 10 weeks ago I started getting debilitating migraines. I began researching every natural health remedy for headaches and migraines i could could, removing any further triggers, but eventually had to go down the medical path. In the last several years, I have learned that one of the biggest elements for growth is always rest. It may seem counterintuitive but the body needs and the mind needs rest. So instead of pushing through, I took a break from reading and writing to rest my brain. It clearly needed it.
And now I am back with some tools for you on how to manage headaches the natural way on a day to day basis. We have learned that my migraine are caused by post concussion syndrome and a still unknown reason for chronic dehydration. Our bodies are made up of approximately 60% water so any shift in this concentration can of course affect its functioning.
Of note, don’t judge any remedies before you try them. Truly you never know what might work. The sock method listed below may sound strange but it really worked for me!
- cured meats and cheeses (a no no on AIP anyways)
- citrus fruits
- food additives (i.e. nitrates or MSG)
- artificial sweeteners
- red wine
- weather changes
- bright lights especially from halogen lamps, tv or staring at a computer screen
- menstrual periods
- hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)
- dried fish
- nuts (another no no on AIP)
- excess salt
- acupressure (for when acupuncture is too much. I am one of those who is usually too sensitive. pressure points are used instead of needle points)
- magnesium at night can help to relieve headaches
- peppermint oil rubbed to the temples and base of the neck can relax tense muscles. just be careful if you are pregnant or lactating. this can be distressing to a baby.
- use an ice pack to the base of the neck
- just before bed, take cotton socks and run under ice cold water. put on. then place wool sock over top. wear to bed. this will feel strange, but will serve to pull the blood from the head down wards and can remove the headache by the time you wake up.
- foot, hand or cranio-sacrio massage.
- drink more water
- go for a walk. seriously. fresh air can really help.
- take 5 minutes from whatever you are doing and breath deeply. slowly. Stress can restrict blood flow and increase a headache.